How toa 如何成为亿万富翁
Have you ever fancied sailing around the world in your own yacht or buying a holiday home in the Caribbean? Well, before you get too excited, it may help to find out if you have what it takes toa .
We’ve all heard stories of school drop-outs who have made their fortune, but are they the norm or an exception to the rule? Do they tend to be university graduates or self-made entrepreneurs? Are they married or single?
Thanks to a recent analysis of people in Forbes Top 100 Billionaires List, we can now find out what the world’s mega rich have in common. We know which star sign is the most popular amongst multi-millionaires, what percentage wear glasses and evenmany are bald!
If you are deciding whether or not to go to university, it may help you to know that 76% of the richest people in the world have a degree. According to this study, of those 76%, 47% have a bachelor’s degree, 23% have a master’s and 6% have a doctorate. Don’t lose hope if you aren’t very academic though. It’s worth noting that many of those on the list did not pass all their exams with flying colours. Microsoft founder Bill Gates dropped out of Harvard University after two years of study. And Chinese business magnate Jack Ma, failed his university entrance exams three times before going on to complete his degree and make his millions.
Another interesting trend is that the world’s high-fliers are much more likely to be married – only 12% ofs are unmarried. You are also more likely to make it if you were born under the most popular star sign, Aquarius, than if you are a Cancer – the least popular sign on the zodiac. Finally, the percentage of billionaires who are bald is quite high – so don’t worry if you’re losing your hair, you may get to sail that yacht around the Caribbean after all!
a billionaire 亿万富翁
a school drop-out 一个中途退学的人
make ones fortune 靠个人努力发财致富
university graduate 大学毕业生
mega rich 巨富
pass your exams with flying colours 优异成绩通过考试
drop out of (school, university) 离开，退出（学校，大学）
to make it 功成名就
1. What was the purpose of the analysis of billionaires?
2. True or false? About one quarter of the billionaires analysed are not university graduates.
3. How did Bill Gates make his fortune?
4. According to the study, why does when you were born affectlikely you are to rich?
5. What do Bill Gates and Jack Ma have in common?
1. Well done! You passed your driving test with __________ .
high fliers colours flying flying colours flying high
2. Steve Jobs was the __________ of Apple.
founder finder starter builder
3. You should think carefully before you __________ school. You may regret it when you’re older.
drop off drop over drop in to drop out of
4. He’s a __________ millionaire: his family were too poor to help him start his business.
magnate self-made drop-out entrepreneur
5. He’s made a __________ from selling oil.
money millions billionaire fortune
1. What was the purpose of the study? To find similarities between the top 100 richest people in the world
2. True or false? About one quarter of the billionaires analysed are not university graduates. True
3. How did Bill Gates make his fortune? He started the computer company, Microsoft.
4. According to the study, why does when you’re born affect how likely you are to make lots of money? They found that certain zodiac signs are more common than others in the rich list.
5. What do Bill Gates and Jack Ma have in common? They went on to become very successful even though they didn’t excel in their academic lives.
2. 请你在不参考课文的情况下完成下列练习。选择一个意思合适的单词填入句子的空格处 。
1. Well done! You passed your driving test with flying colours.
2. Steve Jobs was the founder of Apple.
3. You should think carefully before you drop out of school. You may regret it when you’re older.
4. He’s a self-made millionaire: his family didn’t have any money to help him start his business.
5. He’s made a fortune from selling oil.